The monastery was founded in 1173 by Cistercian monks at Brede Å. Throughout the Middle Ages, the town of Løgumkloster grew up in the shelter of Monastery and Church. The monastery was closed down in 1548.
Løgumkloster Church was built in the period 1225-1325. Of the original 4 wings of the monastery, only the east wing (Chapter Hall and Dormitorium) and the north wing (church) remain today. Løgumkloster Church is considered - together with Sorø Monastery Church - to be among the most beautiful and significant church buildings from the Middle Ages of Denmark.